In these article Point Technologies Experts explore all the tips you need when buying a brand new laptop or a refurbished one.
Quick Tips & Recommendations
- Operating Systems– The operating system is the heart of your laptop. It manages all software and hardware, including files, memory and connected devices. Windows Operating system is the best choice for people seeking , simplicity, functionality and compatibility with most soft wares out there; Best for Learning Laptops, Office use and Basic Use for cyber café and Businesses
- Use and Functionality. Core i 3 with a minimum 4GB RAM is suitable for Average uses such as Online Surfing, Multiple Storing and streaming music and movies, tasks like spreadsheet and document creation For Demanding use and Sophisticated Programs . We recommend: Core i 5 and above with a processor speed 0Ghz and latest generation 5Th and Above Suitable for Multitasking with multiple tabs and programs.
- Does your laptop look and feel right? A good laptop should feel very steady when you are handling it, the laptops hinges, moving parts and clasps should feel sturdy enough to withstand daily use and compact enough to withstand lousy Handling. Test opening and closing lid and body; usually made of plastics or aluminums — ensure that it is adequately rigid and lightweight. Also ensure that the laptop has good keyboard spacing and depth allow for comfortable typing.
If you are new to the laptop model. Better visit our stores to have a personal perfect feel
- Screen size ; The intended function an use for a laptop determines the screen size that you will need Laptop Screens sizes range from approximately 11 inches to 17 inches – measured diagonally. If you need a travel laptop that fits nicely into bags, even handbags!! then laptops less that 12” will, give you the best option. Larger screens are good for gaming. You should also know that a big screen laptop increase power consumption rates of the laptop and the gross weight of the computer.
- Resolution Kenya: 1366 x 768 resolution is standard on mainstream laptops available in most Shops in Kenya. The laptops are good for Web-surfing, basic office programs, email and basic computing tasks.
- Hard Disk Drives (Recommended Minimum 250 GD, 320GB, 500GB, 720 GB, 1TB, With 7200 Rpm
- Battery Life- Most Manufacturers’ battery-life claims range 6-12 hours or more
Shop by screen size: Less than 12″, 12″–13.9″, 14″–16.9″, 17″ or more
- Resolution Full Review. Laptop and Monitor Screen resolution is responsible picture quality and graphics. When shopping for laptops in Kenya we recommend that you consider a range of resolutions factors (measured in pixels, horizontal x vertical):
- 4K Ultra HD: Laptops have a maximum resolution of 3840 x 2560 and 3840 x 2160 for graphics sensitive Jobs such as video editing, Images and Graphic Designing jobs gaming and Design. Architecture programs and much more.
- Quad HD and QHD+ Laptops: The maximum pixels for the laptops with 2560 x 1440 and 3200 x 1800 The Laptop is ideal for professional photo editing, graphics work as well as high-def. movies and games.
- Smart Retina display:Laptops that come with a resolution of 2304 x 1440, 2560 x 1600 and 2880 x 1800. Such Resolution are found in Apple Laptops; 12″, 13.3″ and 15.6“
- Full HD resolution Laptops; The laptops have 1920 x 1080 resolution for very clear HD movie watching, Low resolution and basic streaming and student based program.
- Laptops for Full HD+:1600 x 900 Perfect Resolution for casual gaming, Design and graphics and basic office use laptops. Considered to be high end Laptops in Kenya.
- HD: 1366 x 768 resolution is standard on mainstream laptops available in most Shops in Kenya. The laptops are good for Web-surfing, basic office programs, email and basic computing tasks.
Processors by Intel are at the core of MacBook’s and most windows laptops in the tech arena. The most common in use I toddy’s Laptops and Pcs are Intel’s Core™ series that have multicore processors:
- Core X-Series: High End Processors for Virtual Reality and Ultra resolution Experience.
- Core i7: A popular choice for people who consider themselves heavy laptop users. In Kenya Core i7 are ideal for hardcore gamers, pro-graphic designers with high end soft wares, Professional photographers and videographers.
- Core i5: Mid-grade Core processor powerful for busy laptop users, streaming, emails and running Multiple programs
- Core i3: They are entry-level Intel Core processors, they are good for students and basic office use, productivity task and Listening to things Like Music, Microsoft Office use and Basic Graphic Design and Document Creation. Very Popular and have a moderately Modern Functionality.
In value-priced laptops, you’ll also see Intel’s Pentium® and Celeron® processors. These are adequate for basic email, internet and productivity tasks, but their speed and multitasking capabilities are limited relative to those of the Core family.
AMD provides a range of advanced processors for virtually every task: When shopping for AMD Based Laptops consider;
- Ryzen 7 Laptops : if you have intensive and multitasking work
- Ryzen 5 Laptops : Video editing and all around multimedia functions and Gaming
- Ryzen 3 Laptops: Responsive and efficient to maximize battery life while providing performance for school and office tasks as well as entertainment.
- AMD FX and A Series: Laptops running on FX, A12 and A10: are usually advanced, with powerful processing power and great power efficiency and great PC experience, including smooth online gaming and enhanced HD streaming capabilities.
- The AMD A9, A6 and E2: Are good for each day basic productivity solutions Shop by processor.
RAM Memory for Laptops
Determines the efficiency at which a machine can handle different processes. We recommend a minimum of 2GB or 4GB is required for day to day basic office and school computing,
The 8GB or more is recommended for people who are more into graphics and advanced photo or video editing. At Point Technologies, Most of our laptops have 4GB–8GB pre-installed. Laptop can have up to 64GB. We recommend our clients to choose a model that lets you expand the RAM
- Hard Disk Drives (Recommended Minimum 250 GD, 320GB, 500GB, 720 GB, 1TB, etc.) A 5400 rpm Hard Disk drive is good for basic use, but a 7200 rpm for advanced use. A laptop with 7200 rpm transfers data more quickly and may be worth considering if you regularly work with large files. Drives with 7200 RPM transfer data more quickly and may be worth considering if you regularly work with large files.
- Solid State Drives (SSDs) Even though they offer far less physical Memory, But they offer tremendous advantages in physical size, Power Efficiency and weight as well as low heat production and less noise operation, When shopping for ultraslim laptops. It is important to consider SSD LAPTOPS Shop SSD laptops
Most Manufacturers’ battery-life claims range 6-12 hours or more. When upgrading laptops, keep in mind that enhancements such ram, graphics and resolution screens and faster HDD Drain Battery of Laptops.
Ports and Connectivity things to consider as per your unique needs
- USB Type-A: USB 3.0 and 2.0, for drives, gaming controllers, smartphones, MP3 players and other accessories. Used for faster Connections.
- USB Type-C: Provides blazing speeds and versatile power
- HDMI: for fast media Connection such as a projector or display HD media on your flat-screen TV.
- Media-card slots: for fast transfer of